Hello my friends, I hope you're all doing well and are enjoying this lovely time of year
I thought I'd check in to do my usual New Year spam! I've had pretty horrific art block for like two months now, so I guess it's been a little quiet here. I'm tired of apologising for my shortcomings every couple of months, so I'm not going to this time. Art should be created for the artist's joy, and frankly I find very little in it right now. I originally thought my newest job would bring some order into my life, but actually it's done nothing but keep me living in constant uncertainty and stress, so I'm right back to square one. All I can do is hope is that 2014 will bring lots of new opportunities
Right, enough moping, I hope you all have a wonderful New Year and I wish you the best for 2014, may all of your dreams come true and such
Onto the spam!:
1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
Uuhh... Visited Scotland, Germany and Download festival, became a games tester... Officially joined a Finnish club... Good things.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for this year?
No I failed epicly!
But I guess 2014's resolution is to be more brave.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes a few of my friends did
I must be getting old already!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. One of my furry siblings, Maggie, unexpectedly left us
I miss her so much.
5. What countries did you visit?
Scotland and Germany
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
7. What date(s) from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
5th of August. Usually I have a drink to toast Eicca Toppinen's birthday, but this year my family lost Maggie and a close friend had a baby also on the same day. It shall forever be made of mixed emotions from now on!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting a job that occasionally involves testing Finnish in video games
9. What was your biggest failure?
Art block, lack of enthusiasm, lethargy in general towards the end of the year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Does stress count?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I brought home a cardboard box from Apocalyptica & Gregor Seyffert's "Wagner Reloaded" show for some reason. I have no idea what to do with it, but it has a nice picture of the Apocalyptica guys on the front so I had to take it as a momento
It's pretty big too so I almost didn't get it back to England, not even after flattening it!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My sister for being brave. Maggie was her dog and - as much as she'd hate me for saying it - like a substitute daughter, and she lost her a day before her birthday. I can't imagine a worse kind of hell.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Ian Watkins, 'nuff said.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Germany... Or Download, holy shit why're festivals in England so expensive nowadays?!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Wagner Reloaded shows in Germany of course!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Fight Against Monsters by Apocalyptica from the Wagner Reloaded show, specifically the dragon fighting part. I think as a huge fan of both Apocalyptica and dragons, that's vaguely self explanatory
If I could physically self-destruct from awesomeness, that would've been it for me.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
ii. thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my family as always.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
22. What was your favourite TV program?
23. Do you dislike anyone now that you didn't this time last year?
No. All good here
24. What was the best book you read?
Probably my Finnish textbooks
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Finntroll! I've known of them for some time of course, but only in recent times have I been to a couple of shows. I still don't know any songs by name or own any, but holy shit the atmosphere at their shows is fantastic
26. What did you want and get?
Hmmm. I actually can't think of anything I didn't pay for myself.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favourite film of last year?
Favourite NEW film was Thor 2 of course
Though I fell in love with "Interview With The Vampire" too, that one has helped me along in recent months.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I didn't. And I was twenty.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More work. I might like my job but it won't get me to all the places I intend to visit next year!
31. What kept you sane?
I'm not sure I managed to stay sane.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Uhhh I always struggle with this one
I put Chris Hemsworth as Thor last year so, I'm gonna go with Brad Pitt as Louis Pointe du Lac. I never thought Brad was as wonderful as others seem to, but at least I can appreciate where they were coming from now.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
England is just a big goo of political issues my friend!
34. Who did you miss?
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Everyone at Finnish school and the crazy nerds where I work. They've all been pretty great.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learnt in 2013?
It's okay to be young and inexperienced and to make mistakes. It took my parents a lifetime to be where they are now, I can't expect too much of myself at my age and neither should others.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
The middle eight and chorus from "Puolikas Ihminen" (Half human) by Stam1na pretty much sums it up.
Kuka tietää missä minä olen? (Who knows where I am?
Ei näy minusta puolikastakaan Half of me is not visible
Helvettiä on tämä olevinaan What the hell is this supposed to be
Tämä jatkuva toipumisprosessi This continuous healing process
Siis eheydy So heal,
Siis eheydy ennalleen Heal back to normal
Eheydy, uupuu puolet Heal, you're half missing
Eheydy tai yksin kuolet Heal or die alone.)